I hear the other day someone said that someone should get married because they should not live in sin. That is the worse this I have heard in a long time and it goes totally against Gods’ plan for marriage. Lets look at marriage through the different eyes.
- Marriage is a union of two people Man and woman who become one flesh (Gen 2:24. ). Leaving your father and mother (the old) and cleaving to your wife (the new).
- Marriage is about making a family.
- Marriage is about unconditional love.
- Marriage is about unity.
- Marriage is about having the same goals.
- Marriage is about working together to achieve the goals.
- Marriage is about making a home where children feel loved and safe.
- Marriage is long term (in years).
- Marriage is about showing each other grace and forgiveness when the partner misses the mark.
Marriage is a symbol of what God wants to do with His people. Our Father is preparing a bride for His Son (eph 5-27). That bride is called the Church and she is beautiful. When I wrote about marriage in the paragraph above was I talking about natural marriage or the church?
- Marriage is a union of two people who become one flesh. Christianity is about the union of God and Man in Christ Jesus (John 17:23). God want to share our lives with us. He wants to indwell us so that we may live our lives through His life, His Spirit, His Kingdom.
- Marriage is about making a family. Do you know that we are the family of God (Gal 6:10). He calls us his children with Jesus the firstborn of many.
- Marriage is about unconditional love. God has unconditional love for us. (John 3:16)
- Marriage is about unity. Are we not ‘In Christ’ united with Him. (mentioned over 70 times in the New Testament)
- Marriage is about having the same goals and working together to achieve the goals. Christianity is about doing the will of the one who loves us. Working together with God to achieve His purposes on earth because in so doing He will prosper us. We will have a fulfilled life in Him.
- Marriage is about making a home where children feel loved and safe. Are we not describing how our Father make us feel and the function of the church.
- Marriage is long term (in years). Long term is eternity
- Marriage is about showing each other grace and forgiveness when the partner misses the mark. Has not God our Father showed us Grace in our time of need and do we not have the forgiveness of sins through the Lord Jesus Christ. (Rom 5:15)
When conducting a marriage ceremony in the future; how about instead of using the old words of ‘in sickness and health….’
we use this instead.
I _____ promise to help you ________ to lead a holy life in Christ Jesus.
To encourage you daily.
To lift you up daily in prayer.
To be intimate with you sexualy so as not to give the enemy a foothold in our lives.
To financially honour you and work together build up our household.
To provoke you to holy works.
To always see the good in you and build you up in our most holy faith.
To show you grace when you miss the mark.
So that we may demonstrate the Love of God together, united as one